Leadership in Learning – Teacher in Charge L1 English 2015Posted: April 5, 2016
Acting Teacher in Charge of Level 1 English in 2015.
I was asked to take charge in 2015 because Thalia Henry was on a year’s leave. I was very happy to be given this responsibility as I felt I knew the programme well, the teachers well, and was ready to upscale my general leadership qualities at Orewa College.
I was responsible for the following:
- Timely organisation and distribution of materials for each internal assessment for the L1 English programme.
- Updating materials and resources when and if necessary. For instance I continued to ‘ako-ise’ my Level 1 resources and shared these with other L1 English teachers, and they shared their work as well.
- Contact with the relevant teachers about the materials, deadlines, organisation of moderation evenings and post meeting organisation of the student results. For instance, picking 8 pieces of student work to be moderated before each meeting, and ensuring these marks were available and discussed at the meeting, before we marked the other students’ work.
- Leading each moderation meeting.
- Checking that all relevant administration was available on the English Department Google Drive, in the correct folder as instructed by Meryl Howell (Head of Department).
- At the end of the year, double checking that all moderated work was available, all students’ work was correct, and the links to their work were correct.
I admit there were a few moments where I was not sure what to do, so I checked with Meryl to make sure I was doing the right thing, at the right time. We contacted each other mainly by email.
I was happy with my contribution to the English Department, and asked to be considered for TIC in 2016. After discussions with Thalia as well, it was agreed that Thalia and I would share the role in 2016.
We have drawn up a list of responsibilities for 2016 and I will be posting this list, and a reflection again, at a later date in 2016.